It may be hard for a person with severely damaged knee injury or arthritis to perform simple activities like walking or climbing stairs. Some patients may even feel pain while they are sitting or lying down. When nonsurgical treatments like medications & walking supports fail to help, patients may like to consider knee replacement surgery as an ideal option. Total Knee Replacement is one type of knee replacement surgery. This is a safe & effective procedure which is designed to correct leg deformity, relieve pain & help patients resume normal activities. Decision to undergo total knee replacement surgery deserves a cooperative approach between the patient, the family, the family doctor & the orthopedic surgeon. Most often it is the family physician referring patients to the orthopedist for a thorough evaluation in order to determine that a case may benefit from surgical intervention.
When is Total Knee Replacement Surgery Recommended?
There are many reasons as to why doctors recommend total knee replacement surgery. People with the following conditions usually benefit from knee replacement surgery:
When do Doctors Recommend TKR Surgery?
Severe Knee Joint Stiffness
Chronic Inflammation in Knee Joints
Knee Pain while Resting
Knee Joint Deformity
Failure of Other Treatments
- Severe knee stiffness or pain which is limiting everyday activities including walking, climbing stairways & getting into or out of chairs. These patients would find it difficult to walk more than a few blocks without experiencing significant pain & may therefore require a walker or can as support.
- Moderate to severe pain in knee during rest, either during the day or at night.
- Chronic inflammation of the knee along with swelling which fails to improve with rest or medications.
- Deformity of knee – bowing-in or bowing-out of knee.
- Failure to improve with other treatments like anti-inflammatory medications, lubricating injections, cortisone injections, physical therapy and/or other surgeries.
Good Candidates for Knee Replacement Surgery
There are no age or weight restrictions for patients wanting to undergo total knee replacement surgery. Recommendations for this procedure are normally based upon the patient’s pain & disability & not his/her age. However, most patients wanting to undergo knee replacement surgery are found to be between the age group of 50 – 80 years. Nevertheless, knee replacement surgeries have been successfully performed for people from all ages including young teenagers with juvenile arthritis to elderly patients suffering from degenerative arthritis.
Total Knee Replacement Surgery Procedure
Total knee replacement surgery patients are most likely to be admitted to hospital on the day of surgery.
- Anesthesia – Patient will be evaluated by a member of the anesthetic team upon admission. Most common types of anesthesia which is administered to total knee replacement surgery patient includes general anesthesia, spinal, epidural or regional nerve blocking anesthesia which keeps the person awake but the body remains numb from waist down. The anesthetic team along with inputs from the patient will determine as to which type of anesthesia will best suit the patient.
- Surgical Procedure – Total knee replacement procedure lasts for about 1 – 2 hours. During this time orthopedic surgeons will remove damaged cartilage & bone from the patient’s knee & subsequently position the new artificial plastic & metal implants in order to restore alignment & function of the new knee.
Risks & Complications Following Knee Replacement Surgery
Patients must take the following steps in order to avoid risks & complications following total knee replacement surgery.
- Preventing Blood Clots – Patients should carefully follow instructions given by orthopedic surgeons in order to reduce risk of developing blood clots during the first several weeks of recovery following knee replacement surgery. Orthopedists may also recommend that patients continue taking blood thinning medications prescribed after the operation.
- Preventing Infection – Bacteria is the most common cause of infection following knee replacement surgery. Bacteria usually enter the bloodstream during skin infections, urinary tract infections & dental procedures. Subsequently, these bacteria can lodge around knee replacement so as to cause infection.
- Avoiding Falling – Total knee replacement surgery patients must avoid falling during the first few weeks at least after surgery as it can damage the new knee & may result in having to undergo further surgery. They should be careful while negotiating stairs until the knee has recovered to be strong & mobile. During the recovery period patients should use hand rails, walker, crutches, canes, or have someone help them until strength, balance & flexibility has improved.
Total Knee Replacement Surgery Outcomes
Most patients expect to be able to fully straighten with the new replaced knee & to bend it sufficiently. Kneeling may sometimes be uncomfortable, but not harmful. Some people feel numbness in skin around the incision along with stiffness with excessive bending activity. Many people also hear or feel clicking sound of plastic with metal while walking or bending the new knee. This is however normal & all these differences will diminish with time & patients will find them to be tolerable when compared to pain & limited function they had experienced in the past prior to undergoing knee replacement surgery.
Affordable Minimally Invasive Knee Replacement Surgery in India
International patients looking for affordable minimally invasive knee replacement surgery abroad should look to India as an ideal medical tourism destination. Cost of total knee replacement surgery in India is not only low but the quality of surgery is also excellent & comparable with the best in the world. There is a large pool of expert orthopedists & an extensive network of multispecialty hospitals waiting to provide excellent services without any waiting period.
Undergo Total or Partial Knee Replacement Surgery with Orthopaedic Surgery India
Orthopaedic Surgery India is a one-stop specialty medical tourism company which is associated with top orthopedists & the best accredited healthcare facilities in order to provide the most competitive cost of knee replacement surgery or minimally invasive knee replacement surgery for patients from all around the world. Flourishing under the globally recognized Travcure Medical Tourism flagship banner, Orthopaedic Surgery India is the most suited specialized healthcare facility which maintains a track of providing the best knee replacement surgery success rate in the country. Seamless & hassle-free range of essential services provided by experts at Orthopaedic Surgery India cover every detailed requirement of foreign patients traveling abroad for medical treatments.Leave a reply →