What is Orthopedic Trauma Surgery?
Orthopedic trauma surgery is concerned with treating injuries and conditions that affect the musculoskeletal system. Musculoskeletal system consists of the bone, joints, tendons, ligaments, nerves and muscles. Orthopedic trauma surgery involves treating patients who are suffering from injuries with multiple broken bones, fractures near a joint, deformity of the spine or limbs, compound fractures or fractures of the pelvis. Orthopedic trauma surgery is performed with a goal to heal the fractured bones, restore the anatomic alignment of the joint surfaces for better recovery and return the damaged part to maximum function. Orthopedic surgeons treat patients of all ages:-
- Newborns and children who are suffering from deformities such as clubfoot, congenital dislocation of the hip, and scoliosis.
- Adults who need joint preserving surgery such as arthroscopic surgery or osteotomy.
- Older people who are suffering from irreversible degenerative joint problems and need their joints to be replaced.
Following are some of the most common orthopedic diseases:-
- Scoliosis: - Scoliosis is an abnormal twisting and curvature of the spine. Scoliosis is usually noticeable by changes in the appearance of the back.
- Osteoarthritis: - It is one of the most common types of arthritis. Osteoarthritis is a condition where the joints become stiff & painful. Any joint in the body can be affected with osteoarthritis but it is most common in knees, hands and hips.
- Clubfoot: - Clubfoot is a deformity of the foot & ankle which babies are born with. Positioning and functioning of the foot can be treated in early stages. Clubfoot is not painful but as the babies grow it can cause difficulty in walking which can worsen with time.
Following are some of the most common orthopedic surgeries:-
- Orthopedic surgeries include repairing of broken hip, broken leg, broken arm or wrist, broken ankle, broken collarbone or broken ribs.
- Orthopedic surgeries repairs damaged to ligaments, torn tendons or muscles.
- Arthroscopy surgery is performed using minimally invasive technique. It involves using of small tools which are inserted into a joint to diagnose and repair damaged joint tissue.
- Arthroplasty surgery is performed to replace or resurface joints which are usually damaged due to arthritis. Hip replacements and knee replacements are the most common arthroplasty surgery.
Not all fractures need specialized care. Treating complex fracture may need a trauma specialist. Patients suffering from trauma injuries are treated with minimally invasive surgery, advanced external fixation, and the use of bone graft substitutes and bone-forming proteins.
Severe injuries require surgery. An internal fixation method is used where the surgeon performs minor surgery to place screws, pins, wires, and plates on the damaged bone to stabilize it. Severe injuries require complex surgical procedures that involve bone grafting, limb lengthening, and complex reconstructions surgery.
Some fractures and dislocations which are related to the hand, wrist, foot, scapula, clavicle, and humerus can be treated non-surgically. Depending on the severity of the fracture, the orthopedic surgeons may treat the injury with non-surgically method through an external fixation approach. External fixation method involves using a cast, braces, splints, and other devices on the outside of the injury to stabilize the fracture.
Full recovery for the fracture depends on the severity and type of the injury. Varying from patient to patient recovery can take up to 3 weeks to several months for a bone to completely heal. In the case of worst or very severe injury, the bone may never heal completely. Post-treatment or surgery the orthopedic surgeon prescribe a progressive plan to fully restore the fractured bone to pre-injury condition. Patients can experience stiffness and muscle fatigue which heals with time.
Orthopedic Trauma Surgery in India has a huge success rate which has attracted man patients abroad. Orthopedic surgeries are available in India at very affordable costs as compared to any other country. India has a large pool of highly skilled and qualified orthopedic surgeons adding to the success rate of orthopedic surgeries performed in India. World-class medical facilities are available in India at the most affordable costs.